Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Two Christmases!!!

It's too late for Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, so I'll just say hey! We had a very busy December as Shane was, and still is, working 2 jobs and Christmas concerts and end-of-year parties kept me busy. The first "stirrings" of that wiggle worm in my tummy happened just before we left for Toronto, so it was very cool that my family could feel the baby moving when we were there. Also right before we left was a mini-reunion with a bunch of girls from high school who were home for Christmas. From the left are Kristin (San Francisco), Aphra (New Zealand), Marie, myself, Jenni (Van), Evita (Van) , Erin and Katie. It was really nice to see each other but, of course, time went too quickly. Hopefully it won't be years again before we can all get together again.On Christmas Eve morning we flew to Toronto where a wonderful surprise was waiting for us. My sister, Tammy, drove from Winnipeg with her husband, Greg, and four kids (Rachel, Curits, Brianne and Stephanie) and made me jump, scream and cry. I think someone took a picture, but I really don't remember. What a Christmas present! If only there was snow... but no. We didn't get any snow in Toronto our whole trip apart from a tease on Christmas night and 2 cm at my grandparents' house in Pontypool. The kids did their best to make Frosty by starting at the other side of the house and they barely had enough to do it!

As always, we played tonnes of card games, mainly Euchre, with immediate and extended family for hours on end sometimes. The best partner is my cousin Steve in Orangeville, so it was nice to play with him and beat everybody! (Don't mention it to Shane. He's still bitter.)
We also had a Van Dam family get together that was like a reunion for us out-of-towners. I got my dad's cousins figured out by the end of the night, but don't ask me who's who now. Man, can my family cook, though! Mmmm...cabbage rolls.

Here are some family pics that we took in the kitchen after we cancelled the photographer. Are we cheap, or what?
"SHAKE 'N' BAKE!!!" (it's the year of movie references...don't ask)

Doesn't Dad look like happy with his sons? "Too bad my brothers have a combined IQ of 48."

Yes, we're cute, and we're waiting for Jason to make our group a group of 5, too!

My loving, silly, generous, quirky family. "We are really, really ridiculously good-looking." If you haven't seen Zoolander, don't ask.

And finally, the reason I called this one Two Christmases...our ultrasound. We had our appointment on Monday January 8th and I saw my baby for the first time. He has his mommy's big head, but he's still beautiful. He did a somersault, kicked me a few times and had the hiccups while we were watching him which means that he is happy and healthy. Good news! He's stretching his arms above his head in the first picture and getting ready to punch me in the second one. Sorry they are so blurry, but we didn't get them on disk and you aren't supposed to scan them. Anyways, this is his blog debut and we couldn't be happier! While, ta ta for now!

6 Comments:

At 1/11/2007 11:03 AM, Blogger Louise said...

Yay! I'm the first one to comment! Congrats on your baby - the first ultrasound is always amazing! (you and Tricia must be due really close together?) Anyways - I knew Greg & Tammy were surprising you - how fun! Glad you all had a good time & it was neat to see pics of your whole famiy together :)

 
At 1/11/2007 4:22 PM, Blogger Rachel H. said...

ABOUT FREAKIN TIME YOU POSTED GIRLFRIEND!!!!! No seriously, lovely post - great to see such happy family pics and the new Deringer looks gorgeous - head and all!

 
At 1/11/2007 9:22 PM, Blogger **Lola** said...

Holy toledo...it's about time you posted T. Love the little guys pics. I may be mistaken but his arms look very long and monkey like.......could be the angle. Don't forget to come check out the "stuff" I have for you. Hope you are feeling swimmingly good!!!
luv, luv.

 
At 1/12/2007 4:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so excited for you guys! Your first baby is such a special experience. Of course every baby brings a different feel, you just make me think of my first. When I saw Tammy in Winnipeg she told me about the suprise. She was so excited. I almost told you once. : } Your family picture look lovely too. Eveyone's face looks just the right size! xo Rayael

 
At 1/16/2007 9:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was awesome having everyone home for the holidays (first time since 1996, I believe). We thought Tracey was going to jump out of her skin when she saw Tammy, Greg and their kids - that's what I call a "gotcha"! It was also fun to watch Tracey's belly grow - daily! Get ready for those 5:00AM hockey practices in a couple of years - C U in May..... Papa G

 
At 1/17/2007 11:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Tracey & Shane: Nice to see the pictures of Xmas & Bella Coola! You are referring to the baby as HE so I guess pink is out huh! Keep posting your "growing belly" pictures. Love to Both..XOXOX

 

Post a Comment

<< Home